Monday, August 20, 2007

Infection has cleared up!

During the PICC dressing change today no sign of infection was evident. This is a photo of my PICC line, which is where blood is drawn from and where the chemotherapy is given. It helps to protect the veins in my arm which would otherwise be damaged (perhaps permanently) by the chemotherapy if it were given via injection or a canula. It drains the chemo drogs directly into a large vein just above my heart; this allows for efficient distribution without having too concentrated a dose in the small veins of the arm. Below is a schematic of a PICC (but in the chest rather than the arm).

5 comments:

St Mark Catholic Homeschool said...

glad you are feeling better - and the infection is gone. Good luck on #11 - can;'t wait for #12 to be over too.
I like the pictures of birds and your house on the blog much better then these medical pics of you.

Unknown said...

Glad to know that the PICC Line is all cleared up. Keep the news coming!

Rod

Anonymous said...

Most excellent news Nancy. But I think I agree with Joann the birds, cats etc are better than the medical pics. However I do have to say that I have learned a lot through all the info you have posted. Hope the last two treatments go without a hitch.

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that the infection has cleared up! Thinking of you! Becky

Anonymous said...

Happy that the infection has cleared up...Glad #11 is over and happier when you're finished with #12!!!! Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!