Monday, January 07, 2008

A Close Encounter, as Told By "Poor Tim"

"My project today was to take about this many weeds:


Out of this section of our front yard:


At one point when I was putting some branches on the brush pile, I felt something on my shoulder, and brushed it off. This is what it was:


You might look at that and say, 'it's just a stick, what's the big deal?', right?

Well, here is the 'stick' as it angrily crawled away...


and then went up the side of the trash can...



and finally settled on the first suitable branch it found:


That's right, it was the BIGGEST stick insect in history!"

POOR TIM!

(the name of this stick insect is the TITAN STICK INSECT, one of the world's longest insects, which can grow to be over 15 inches long... here are some more photos of them - notice the nice lady is HOLDING hers....)



Here is a rare photo of one dialing out for a pizza with everything on it...

3 comments:

St Mark Catholic Homeschool said...

Dear Poor Tim-
I would leave all the sticks - insect and non-insect where they are!!! You remember how the trees caused death a few years ago - they are dangerous and now the sticks are getting dangerous!!! If the sticks must be moved - call a professional - they have the weapons to deal with such danger!!

Anonymous said...

I've said it before & I'll say it
again..."POOR TIM"!

In his wildest dreams, he never thought that he would be living in Austrailia fighting off Stick Insects!

Bits said...

OK and you want me to visit? But you have big scary sticks in your front yard. You know I am a sissy. Poor Tim indeed.