Thursday, March 22, 2007

A diagnosis at last

Today the final diagnosis was arrived at: Hodgkin's lymphoma (stage 2, because of the big lumpy mass in my chest). This will require 6-8 months of chemotherapy (the ABVD protocol, the cutting edge regime with a 90% cure rate given my circumstances, i.e., relatively young, no other organs involved, no lumps below the diaphragm, intact healthy bone marrow, generally good health, minimal pre-diagnosis weight loss). The chemotherapy treatments are every 14 days. Following chemotherapy, I will receive a course of radiation treatment just on the lump in my chest. I am on medical leave from work until the end of the year; Tim has caregiver's leave as needed to help me with the chemotherapy.

I cannot begin to tell people how amazing the support I have received from family, friends, colleagues and students has been. It has helped keep my spirits up, and helped Tim enormously in a difficult time. I thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, flowers, chocolates, trashy magazines, and love. Love and thanks to everyone...

2 comments:

St Mark Catholic Homeschool said...

Wow - what beautiful flowers. Of course I like the pictures of you home in your garden surrounded by flowers instead of the hospital room, but I guess that is obvious.

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there. You are special and remember, you are a tough polish girl from New Jersey!
-Kathy Pawlikowski